The easy manipulation of human nature is illustrated in “Animal Farm”
The Pigs of Animal Farm repetidly abused the animals. Because of their lack of intelligence and strength the animals became victims of the pigs. The easy manipulation of human nature is illustrated in “Animal Farm”
A. The animals weren’t strong enough to compete with the stronger pigs.
1. Napoleon’s dogs killed many of the animals, “the remaining animals, except for the pigs and dogs, crept away in a body” (p. 837).
2. The pigs trained the sheep to stop the animals from speaking, “they might have uttered some word of protest…all the sheep burst out into a tremendous bleating”(p. 852).
3. Mr. Pilkington said “they have lower classes, and pigs have lower animals” (p. 854).
4. The pigs strength wasn’t the only advantage they had over the animals.
B. Many of the animals didn’t have enough education to know what happened on the farm.
1. Only a few animals knew the alphabet, “none of the other animals on the farm could get further than the letter A” most didn’t even know their names (p. 819).
2. Boxer couldn’t remember but a few letters, “Boxer could not get beyond the letter D” (p. 819).
3. The animals needed other animals to read for them, “Benjamin consented to break his rule, and he read out to her what was written” (p. 853).
4. Because of the lack of intelligence the animals could easily be vitimized.
C. The farm animals didn’t realize they were being manipulated.
1. Squelar claimed the farm was better off than in Jones’s day, “he had no difficulty in proving to the other animals that they awere better off” (p.845).
2. Boxer was sent to the slaughterer, Squelar tricked the animals into believing otherwise, “his little eyes darted sucpiciously” (p. 849).
3. The animals didn’t realize the pigs had changed the commandments, “Clover had not remembered that the fourth commandment mentioned sheets” (p. 832)
4. Napoleon and the pigs easily tricked and lied to the animals without their knowledge.
D. The pigs from the beginning to the end used force to overpower the farm animals.
1. Squelars speaches and convincing arguments kept the animals from knowing to much.
2. Training the sheep and using other tactics left the animals powerless to stop the pigs, as long as the pigs kept up their lies.
3. I disliked the pigs, Napoloen showed what can happen with absolute power.